Transit tax – yes or no?
Adapted from The Province by Nila Gopaul
Reading by Corey Muench
The government says
a 0.5% increase in sales tax
will help improve transit and transportation
in Metro Vancouver.
Elections BC mailed out ballots
between March 16 and March 27.
The ballot asks if you agree with this 0.5% increase in sales tax.
You can vote “yes” or “no”
before May 29, 2015 if:
- You are a Canadian citizen.
- You are a resident of B.C.*
- You live in Metro Vancouver.
- You are 18 years of age**or older.
- You are registered to vote in B.C.
How much will the plan cost?
It will cost $7.5 billion.
For you, this means
for every $1,000 you spend
you will pay an extra $5.
* You must have lived in b.c. as a resident
for at least six months on or before May 29, 2015.
** You are 18 on or before May 29, 2015.