Mark Macdonald shows seed packets.
Photo by Ian Smith, The Vancouver Sun
- Grow your own vegetables.
- It is a great way to save money.
Start your garden
- You don’t need a big space.
- You can grow many things in a pot or a container.
- You can plant some herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes and peas this month.
Put in a sunny area
- Vegetables need about six hours of sunlight everyday to grow well.
You will need:
Read the PDF. Try the Exercise.
A container with holes, so water can drain.
Outdoor potting mix. Garden soil is not good for containers.
A packet of seeds.
1. Fill the container with potting mix.
2. Read the back of the seed packet carefully.
3. Plant the seeds. Follow the seed packet directions.
4. Pour a little water onto the soil.
5. Keep the soil moist, not wet. Seeds can die from too much water.
6. Put your container in a sunny place.
Photos by Nila Gopaul, special thanks to Art Knapp Urban Garden