Birds have trouble finding food in the winter. You can help birds by making a bird feeder.
Pine cones fall from pine trees in the fall and winter. You can use a pine cone to make a bird feeder.
What you need:
- pine cone
- string – 8 to 10 inches long
- peanut butter
What you do:
- Shake, tap or brush the pine cone to remove any dirt.
- Tie the string around the pine cone. Place it two or three rows of scales below the wider end of the cone.
- Use a knife to coat the cone with peanut butter.
- Pour the birdseed onto the plate. Roll the cone in birdseed.
- Hang the feeder in a shaded area. You can hang it from a branch in trees or bushes.
Adapted from The Spruce • Photo: iStock/Warren_Price