Mental Health Week is from May 4 to May 10.
Mental health is the way we think and feel about ourselves. It is the way we think and feel about the world around us.
Good mental health makes it easier to handle stress and other problems.
Here are some ways to practise good mental health:
- Take care of your body. It is important to eat well, exercise and get enough sleep.
- Practise healthy thinking. Watch out for “thinking traps.” This happens when we think something is bad when that is not true. Try to solve problems, not just worry about them.
- Slow down. Slowing down and relaxing helps us manage stress and enjoy our lives.
- Have fun. Doing things we enjoy is good for our health. It helps us feel refreshed and good about ourselves.
- Reach out. Connect with and help others. Get help when you need it.
Here are some ways to get help in BC:
- Call your family doctor or visit a walk-in clinic.
- Call HealthLink BC at 811. More than 130 languages are available.
To learn more:
- visit HereToHelp.BC.ca
- read HereToHelp’s plain language resources
- post-secondary students can find help at Here2Talk
- children can find help at KidsHelpPhone
Adapted from HeretoHelpBC and Canadian Mental Health Association • Photos: Unsplash/Jeffrey Grospe, Pixabay/Ernesto Eslavea