Many people like to cook during the holidays. Fires in the kitchen often start when people leave the kitchen while cooking. Lorraine Carli, vice-president of outreach and advocacy at the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) says, “We know cooking fires can be prevented.”
Here is how to stay safe in the kitchen:
- Stay in the kitchen while cooking.
- Avoid distractions like television and electronics.
- Use oven mitts when touching hot pans.
- Do not wear loose clothing.
- Keep a metal lid close by. If a grease fire starts, put the lid on the pan. Turn off the heat and let the pan cool.
- Keep baking soda close by. You can use it to put out a small fire.
Adapted from National Fire Protection Association • Photo: Joan Exley