Too much homework?
Adapted from The Province by Nila Gopaul
- Listen to “Too much homework?”– Level 2
Reading by Nila Gopaul
Last year, Arieanna Shaughnessy
was in grade 4. She was nine years old.
Each week, Arieanna got 10 hours
Arieanna’s mother said her daughter
was very tired and stressed.
“She can’t sleep …. I can’t sleep.”
Arieanna wants to do other things,
such as play baseball and ride horses.
But there is no time.
In one B.C. survey:
- 38 per cent of parents say
there is too much homework.
- 36 per cent of parents say
the homework is just right.
- 26 per cent of parents say
teachers need to give more homework.
Some researchers say a 10-minute rule
for homework is good.
– 10 minutes x the student’s grade level +
– 15 minutes of reading
For Arieanna, now in grade 5, this means
50 minutes of homework every day.