The Westcoast Reader (The WCR) is a newspaper and online resource for learners.
It is published 10 months a year from September to June.
The Westcoast Reader is published by Decoda Literacy Solutions in partnership with Camosun College with financial assistance from the BC Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training.
A Trusted Source
The Westcoast Reader was first published in the early 1980s.
Its purpose is to help learners develop reading and language skills through newsworthy articles about living in British Columbia and Canada. It also serves as an introduction to Canadian daily newspapers.
The Westcoast Reader is used by:
- English language instructors
- Literacy practitioners and tutors
- Elementary and secondary school teachers
- Speech pathologists
- Therapists and health practitioners
The Westcoast Reader serves over 400 communities in British Columbia and other parts of Canada.
Total print circulation is 20,000. Average readership is 60,000.
Our audience includes:
- English language and literacy learners
- Elementary and secondary school students
- New Canadians
- Multicultural senior groups
- Prison inmates
- People with disabilities
- Patients with stroke and brain injuries
The Westcoast Reader offers opportunities to connect with our audience through paid supplements.
BC Literacy Outreach Coordinators, Public Libraries and programs funded by the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training can receive the paper for free.