“Personal Information” means information that can be used to identify an individual. Examples of Personal Information that we collect include: name, title, program name, program type, organization/institution, address, postal code, e-mail address, and phone number.
● Information that is not personally identifiable such as type of browser or operating system you are using, your network, our web pages you have visited, other web pages you have visited before and after visiting ours, type of device, general location information and other similar types of anonymous or de-identified information may be collected and used by us; and
● Aggregate data that cannot be associated with a specific person, such as demographic statistics about The Westcoast Readers’ Users, or number of visitors and average time spent on the site.
Personal Information we collect:
● “Subscription Information” when you provide it, such as contact name and title, program name, program type, organization/institution, address, postal code, e-mail address, phone number, password and username.
● “User-Generated Content Contact Information”, when you provide it, such as contact name and e-mail and website;
● When you make a purchase through the Site with your credit card, we may collect “Payment Information”, which includes your credit card information, your credit card billing address, the purchase amount, date of purchase, and payment method, but will not retain such information longer than necessary to complete the sale; and
Why do we collect Personal Information and how do we use it?
● We will use the Subscription information you provide us to fulfill your request for a subscription to The Westcoast Reader. For example, we will ask for your name and [e-mail, address] in order to send you copies of The Westcoast Reader according to your request;
● We will use the information you provide when you submit your User-Generated Content to contact you regarding your User-Generated Content and attribute your name to your User-Generated Content;
● We use the Subscription Information and Payment Information in order to process and fulfill your order, send you e-mails to confirm your order status and shipment, send you products you order; and allow you to pay for products you order;
● We will use information we collect from cookies to understand how users interact with our website, to improve the operation and performance of the Site;
● We may produce and share aggregated insights using Non-Personal Information;
● We may conduct research for the further development of Content; and
● We will provide information about surveys, promotions, and contests related to The Westcoast Reader.
We may disclose your Subscription Information and Payment Information to third party service providers who are engaged by us to provide services to us or on our behalf, including Learning Metrix (our data storage provider) and Stripe (our payment processor).
Stripe adheres to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover. PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of payment information.
If an individual does not wish us to provide their personal information to a third party, there may be situations where we will be unable to provide that individual with products and services.
We take reasonable, physical, electronic, contractual and managerial measures to protect the information we collect from loss, theft and unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
Your Payment Information may be transferred, processed and retained on servers in countries outside of Canada, including the United States, and may therefore be subject to laws that do not offer the same degree of protection as Canadian law. The laws of other jurisdictions may require the disclosure of your personal information to governmental authorities under circumstances that are different than those that apply in Canada and are contemplated under this Policy.
Withdrawing your consent or changing your personal information
If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from The Westcoast Reader please e-mail us at email@example.com and indicate in your subject line that you would like to unsubscribe.
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small text files containing a unique identifier that are placed in your browser in order to store information about your web browsing and usage of the Site (“Cookie Data”). Cookies are used by Decoda Literary Solutions to collect and store usage information such as:
● Anonymized user IDs for logged in Subscribers
● Device IP Address (which does not reveal your identity)
● Usage Data such as the number of page views, frequency of visits, time spent on a particular page and other similar statistics pertaining to your use of our website and services.
How to disable cookies:
Most browsers are initially set up to accept cookies but offer a number of ways to control cookie preferences. Typically, you can:
1. Disable all cookies (not recommended)
2. Require approval each time a website attempts to place a cookie
3. Remove cookies manually or have them deleted automatically after a certain period
For step-by-step instructions on how to modify cookie preferences, please consult your browser’s support documentation. You can find instructions for commonly used browsers here:
● Internet Explorer
● Google Chrome