Halloween is on October 31. Children will be going out in costumes at night for candy.
B.C. Children’s Hospital has these tips to keep children safe:
- Safe costumes
- Use face paint, not masks so children can see better.
- Costumes should not drag or trip.
- Stick together
- An adult should always be with children.
- Hold hands with younger children. Watch out for stairs and bumps.
- Stay bright
- Bright and colourful costumes are easier for drivers to see.
- Add reflective tape, buttons and lights to coats and bags.
- Carry a flashlight. Bring extra batteries.
- Plan a route
- Draw a map with children for where to go.
- Stick to the plan.
- Tell someone at home where you are.
- Check treats
- Watch out for open or torn wrappers.
- Be careful of homemade treats. If you are not sure, throw them out.
Adapted from CBC News • Photo: Pexels/Kevin Bidwell