You can make a simple mason bee house.
Use things you have around the house.
What you need:
- Empty milk carton
- Paper bags
- Tape measure or ruler
What you do:
- Cut the top off the milk carton. Cut at an angle to make a roof for your house.
- Cut the paper bag into six-inch (15 cm) squares.
- Roll the paper squares around the pencil. Pinch one end and seal with tape.
- Fill the house with the paper rolls. Put the sealed ends at the back.
- Hang the house outside. It should face east or south.
- Don’t worry if bees don’t come right away. It might take a little while for them to find their new home.
Adapted from davidsuzuki.org • Photos: Margaret Sutherland