B.C. Wildfires

Every year, there are hundreds of wildfires in B.C.

Wildfires destroy homes, buildings and land. They can kill people and animals.

What causes wildfires?  

Lightning strikes cause 60 per cent of wildfires. People start the other 40 per cent.

How do I stay safe during a wildfire?

Listen for instructions from the B.C. Government. There are three stages.

Evacuation alert

  • Get ready to leave home.
  • Pack a bag with enough clothes, medication and toiletries for several days.
  • Prepare to take important documents and keepsakes.

Evacuation order

  • Leave now.
  • Follow directions from emergency crews.

Evacuation rescinded

  • Return home.

Adapted from Government of BC and CTV News • Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Shawn Cahill